Launchpad Work 2017
We wanted to help get your social enterprise idea off the ground.
Launchpad Work was Ākina’s accelerator for social enterprises creating employment
in Auckland, designed to get these ideas off the ground in six months. The first Launchpad was held in 2014/15 (read more here), and we were very excited to announce a new Launchpad for 2017.
Launchpad Work was a 6-month intensive programme dedicated to accelerating the growth enterprises whose purpose was to provide jobs for individuals facing the greatest barriers to work. This could have included working with youth, former refugees, single parents, people with disabilities, individuals with experience of homelessness, the criminal justice system or mental health difficulties.
Based in Auckland, Launchpad Work was powered by The Ākina Foundation with support from corporate, philanthropic and public sector partners. The programme was an intensive accelerator for teams with big ideas, who had the benefits of support, coaching and training from a dedicated team of handpicked professionals and social enterprise experts. Launchpad Work was designed to take inspired business ideas and turn them into tested, investment-ready social enterprises that had the potential to make a big impact on a social or environmental problem.
The programme offered teams the opportunity to learn about the business skills needed to develop and run a successful social enterprise. They had access to start-up training, mentoring and leadership coaching. They learnt how to use business innovation processes to build a sustainable business model, covering Lean Startup, business modelling, strategy, finance, sales and marketing.
Alongside the theory and tools, teams had access to successful social entrepreneurs who shared their experience and advice.
The teams gained from:
- A powerful and supportive learning environment – provided by a close-knit group of teams supporting and inspiring each other
- A structured development pathway with clear timeframes and milestones
- Learning how to use business innovation processes to build sustainable and successful business models
- Support and guidance from a dedicated team of handpicked professionals and social enterprise experts
- Access to a network of world-class mentors from all sectors across the country
- A pathway to future funding – opportunities to engage with a broad range of external funding partners (to secure grants, loans, equity, hybrid arrangements etc as required)
- The potential for ongoing coaching and support from Ākina after the programme has concluded.
Launchpad Work started in May 2017 and ended in October 2017. If you’re interested in participating in future Launchpad accelerators, make sure you sign up to our newsletter and we’ll keep you updated.