Ākina’s Impact Investing team helps businesses that generate social value to access the capital they need to grow.
What is impact investment?
An impact investment will generally have the following characteristics (with reference to the Global Impact Investing Network):
- The investor chooses to invest because of the social or environmental benefits created.
- The investor also expects a profit. This profit may or may not be at the same level as tradition investment.
- An impact investment can take many forms, including giving a loan or buying into a social enterprise.
- The social or environmental benefit is measured so that both social and financial returns can be demonstrated to the investor.
Why Impact Investing?
Impact Investing is becoming more common all over the world as intentions to do business for good gain momentum. It is a huge advantage to have aligned investors who invest for the same reasons your business exists – making shareholder interactions useful and efficient. Where investors understand the social or environmental outcomes that will be achieved you may be able to access concessionary financial returns or more flexible terms of investment to enable your mission.
How can we help?
We regularly run workshops on funding social enterprise. These workshops will give you an overview of your options, an understanding of funding strategy and some practical steps to get you started. Go to our Workshops page to see which workshops are coming up in your area.
Investment Readiness Support
The process can seem a little daunting so we have broken it down into more manageable stages.
Each service can be delivered in the following ways:
- Mentoring: light touch support, to keep you on track, test ideas and challenge your assumptions.
- Coaching: mentoring, plus reviewing and commenting on your work.
- Workshopping: we will facilitate a workshop and work with you in person to get to the bottom of any gnarly issues or parts of the process that the team are struggling to progress for any reason.
Option 1: Choose your own programme of services to fit your needs. We will work with you to determine a time frame and level of support that suits your needs and budget.
Option 2: Take the whole programme for a discounted price.
If you have any questions or would like to set up a free initial consult to discuss your needs and how we can help, please contact our investment and policy advisor: